Rolling Through. . .

I recently came across some random song reviews that I never posted:
Image result for middletown ct


"Umbilical Town" by Gary Jules

While best known for his song "Mad World" featured in Donny Darko, Gary Jules also wrote some other, well, sensitive folk-tinged songs. Over a bed of picked acoustics, Gary asks: "Can I please come over"? Why ask, Gary? "The money's gone, I'm broken". He sounds like a guy who's got no more dice to throw down. Just his empty hands and a good heart. A song of devotion. A summer song of warm nights and walks alone in humid evenings. 

"Slow Burn" By Kacey Musgroves

Close your eyes and imagine that Taylor Swift smokes a lot of weed. Now open them- and here's Kacey Musgroves. This country pop-gold cut features cute lines: "grandma cried when I pierced my nose" (which I used to think was tacky but now I think is sorta brilliant) sexy lines: "good on grass/ good on green/ good when you're putting your hands all over me" and cosmic statements, or at least lines that suggest a capacious mind: "in Tennessee/ the suns going down/ but in Bejing they're heading out to work". Again, I thought that was corny at first. We get it, time zones exist. But when I think about this song more I've realized these lines are bold- and confront the world in a dreamy, self assured manner. The acoustic guitar in the beginning sets the tone for the whole enterprise. It's warm, a little hazy, but it has a center. 

"Lost Ones" by Lauryn Hill

Ms. Lauryn Hill. What can I say. She's like a prophet. She's preaching and casting judgement on evil. Her verbal attacks bust down doors and don't take any prisoners. This song doesn't lie down and wait to die. It's so f****** good. 

"Ivy" by Frank Ocean


Frank Ocean has a beautiful voice. Here, it's paired with with a weird, twisted up jingly electric guitar that sounds like a million thoughts bouncing in an alleyway, or something. Frank's gracious in his memory of a former lover. Grace is the word. Everyone is afforded it, even in the midst of frantic thoughts. I like how he yells in parts. 


"Mystery of Love" by Sufjan Stevens

A classic song from Sufjan Stevens. He's so tender, so sensitive, so in tune with the inner workings of the heart. His guitar playing runs circles around the soul. "Lord, I no longer believe" (my favorite line). 

Comments

Popular Posts

"Tangled Up In Blue": What's the Best Version?

Monday Poem: "The Book of Hours: I, 59" by Rainer Maria Rilke

Preached on in the World: What Happened with Bob Dylan in Toronto (1980)?

Tracing J.Cole's Millennial Journey

"Torch Songs" and "Cast Iron Ballads": Deep Cuts from the Planet Waves Era

Context: On Kendick Lamar's "How much a Dollar Cost"

Review: Bob Dylan at the Oakdale Theatre

Along for the Ride with Tell Tale Signs

Peace, Bullets, Schools, Chaos, Life, and The Drive by Truckers

Jeff Lynne's on the Phone