John Prine: Beyond Music and into your Head.


Recently, I had the pleasure of listening to an entire John Prine album all the way through (for the first time). You'll be glad to know I came out the other end with a generous feeling- no doubt brought on by the sly humor and gentle tenderness of the songs featured on Fair and Square. There's something incredibly life-affirming about Prine's songs. Whether he is doing so purposely or not, Prine seems to propose that the answer to life challenges is to 1) acknowledge they exist, and 2) laugh about them. 

So these songs . . .what've we got? 

Prine favors simple, folk and country based arrangements. His vocal delivery is the exact opposite of Bob Dylan's: there's no intensity, but there's also no quiet resignation, either. It's midwestern matter-of-fact that'll blow your mind. 

Here are my favorite songs:
"The Glory of True Love": You can have your lunch in London, and your dinner in St. Paul, but no momentary, material desires and temporary fulfillments can hold a candle to the glory of true love.

"Crazy as Loon": Sliding around from L.A. to Nashville to NYC might make you crazy. Please be careful of those big cities. The absurdity of what you've experienced there will still be with you when you're fishin' out on a lake in the north country. At least that's what this song proposes. Of course, maybe its ok to be crazy as a loon. It means you've actually lived. 

"Long Monday" is all about missing that special someone you spent the weekend with. If Bob Dylan's "One More Weekend" is a song about Friday, this one comes out on the other end of the festivities. 

"I'm Taking a Walk" is about getting some fresh air after a series of frustrating experiences. Whereas Bob Dylan went for a walk because "not much happens here, nothing ever does" (" I and I") Prine is going on a walk to remove himself from a potentially detrimental situation by engaging in an activity he enjoys. It's like leaving the house on Thanksgiving when a political argument breaks out with an uncle. 

"Some Humans Ain't Human" is a proud anti-war song (Iraq) that could easily be for any war. 

"My Darlin' Hometown" seems to recall, almost mythically, positive childhood memories of an idealized American town. 

"The Moon is Down" contemplates the breakup of a relationship, and is more generally about how sad situations can color the dynamics of everything one sees. Of course, the moon isn't literally down. So cheer up, will ya? Here, Prine seems to propose a folksinger version of cognitive behavioral therapy, using absurdity (the moon is down) to point to reason and sanity. 

"Clay Pigeons" sounds like a Prine classic, right up there with "Hello in There". Here, it's just Prine, his midwestern matter of fact voice, and his guitar, which sounds like the perfect melodic accompaniment to his poetry.  "Start talking again", Prine sings, "when I know what to say". The character in this song is down on his luck, wandering and aimless, with his guiding principles being a) the desire for human connection, and b) the need for the right words to be said. PS: I've recently discovered that Prine didn't write this song. A man named Blaze Foley did. Sounds like a mythic name. Whoever he is, he must be a good songwriter, too. 

"I Hate It When it Happens to Me" starts off describing a man who in a fit of madness climbs up a tree, only to require rescue the local fire department. Later, the man was on the local news, no doubt embarrassing him in front of his community. "Wow" we think, "I can't believe that dude melted down. How embarrassing. Who would ever do such a thing?". Right when you, the listener, seem to be sharing a joke about this tree-climbing man with the purveyor of the story, our storyteller then flips the switch on us. "I hate when it happens to me" he says. Bingo. Instant humor. And empathy to boot. 

While climbing up a tree in a fit of rage might make you crazy as a loon, there's one thing Prine knows for sure, and that's the safe and easy living of a person like "Saftey Joe" doesn't experience the fullness of human life due to that "seatbelt around his heart". Get busy livin', I suppose. 

I almost forgot this was music. Fair and Square: I give you an A +. 






Comments

  1. John Prine has been a longstanding favorite artist and I had the occasion to borrow his tune to "Everybody" when experiencing my initial brush with a medical condition about 11 years ago.

    A Series of Unfortunate Events
    (with apologies to Lemony Snicket for the title and John Prine for the melody from the song “Everybody” that’s playing in my head)

    While out riding in my Saturn, while out riding in good cheer.
    I looked upon the calendar and it was the start of a brand new year.
    I got home and took a call – it was from a Hartford doctor
    And the news she gave me on the phone was really quite a shocker.

    She said, “Ernie, I have some news for you and I hope you’re sitting down,
    ‘Cause the news I’ll give is sure enough and bound to make you frown.
    The tests we took from you just about ten days ago
    Show that deep within your body some cancer cells do grow.”

    Chorus:
    Sometimes life is funny –
    And sometimes life is not
    Sometimes life’s too cold –
    And sometimes it’s too hot.
    But life is full of wonder –
    Each and every day
    And life turns out to be just fine
    As I journey on my way.

    2007 will surely be a most memorable year!
    An important event will happen in a day that is quite near.
    Let me begin at the beginning, as the saying goes.
    And explain myself as thoroughly as I can, I suppose.

    On January 2nd, I received the terrible news
    From my biopsy results - and I got those PC blues.
    Maybe my results were, in fact, another person’s fate
    I’ve got too much to do in life on my king-size plate.

    Chorus

    I’m 55 years old and have many more to go.
    This wasn’t part of the bargain I signed up for Ernie’s show.
    It must be someone else whose name might sound like mine
    Call me back with better news if you would be so kind.

    PC used to stand for political correctness as an answer.
    But now unfortunately it now means prostate cancer.
    What to do, where to go, when to take some action?
    There’s much to learn, a lot to read – I only know a fraction.

    Chorus

    Why me? Why not? Why now? I thought. It’s tough news to swallow.
    And for about two days or more in my misery I did wallow.
    I’m better now – see better times ahead in store for me
    Lot’s to do, plan and hope and much more things to see.

    In dreams we have when we are either asleep or wide awake
    The order of things don’t often sense to me do make.
    So - - - the words that I use to capture my complicated emotion
    Are jumbled all together like a big Picasso commotion.

    Chorus

    I’m up for this huge challenge and for what’s to be in store
    Some people say it’s kinda like going off to war
    But I like to think about it in a much more peaceful way.
    I’m off on a surprise journey I didn’t plan yesterday!

    I now hear words that didn’t make much sense not long ago
    Like Gleason Score, blood banking, Cat Scan and urine flow.
    It’s hard to keep one’s dignity and self-respect in tact
    When discussions center mainly on some pretty private acts.

    Chorus

    This saga that I tell to you and that I start today
    Will take you on my journey some place down the way
    Where it ends I do not know, right now it’s just a guess
    I’ll get back to you in three weeks or two or one or more or less.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clay Pigeons was written by Blaze Foley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice write up, there are 4 more songs in this collection that were on the lp & an ep. You might want to give them a listen...
    That was his las album of new songs, 13 years ago. He has a new one coming out between March & May that we are looking forward to. You can listen to 2 of his brand new songs on livefromhere.org he was a guest on Chris Thile's show. We Love John Prine, now go listen to his many other songs and albums. JohnPrine.com you'll be glad you did!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I heard a nice version of John Prine's Paradise by the Kruger Brothers today on Spotify.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I listened to the Kruger Bros this evening after dinner. Great bluegrass. I found they've covered "Don't think twice its alright", too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y8yeqXH-GA

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

"Tangled Up In Blue": What's the Best Version?

Monday Poem: "The Book of Hours: I, 59" by Rainer Maria Rilke

Preached on in the World: What Happened with Bob Dylan in Toronto (1980)?

Tracing J.Cole's Millennial Journey

"Torch Songs" and "Cast Iron Ballads": Deep Cuts from the Planet Waves Era

Context: On Kendick Lamar's "How much a Dollar Cost"

Review: Bob Dylan at the Oakdale Theatre

Along for the Ride with Tell Tale Signs

Peace, Bullets, Schools, Chaos, Life, and The Drive by Truckers

Jeff Lynne's on the Phone