Bobby's Songs Part 1: Warren Zevon's "Lawyers, Guns, and Money"

Over the years, Bob Dylan has left more than a few hits regarding his favorite music. From Public Enemy to Jenny Lewis to Tom Waits, Bob has left little doubt as to what he's listening to. A trail of breadcrumbs has been left in interviews, Bob's radio show Theme Time Radio Hour, and in his memoir Chronicles Volume I. Accordingly, go ahead an plug your headphones in, and remember to keep the bass and treble at bay: it's time for part one of the series "Bobby's Songs ". Today, we're checking out Warren Zevon's hit tune "Lawyers, Guns, and Money". 




Here, we have a true fist raising rock n' roll tune, apparent right from the start. It sounds like Springsteen, but don't be fooled:Warren Zevon is a smartass, not earnest and eager like Bruce. In some way, one gets the sense that Zevon's a music prodigy who's above it all. Over this rollicking guitar riff, Zevon invents an amazing phrase-"Send lawyers, guns and money!"-as he pokes fun at a international one percenter who has faith that his money has rendered him above the law. 




Bob Dylan has covered this song four times himself, so it's clear that Bob finds Warren Zevon an interesting cat:

"Lawyers, Guns and Money. . . sort of straddles the line between heartfelt and primeval. His musical patterns are all over the place, probably because he’s classically trained. There might be three separate songs within a Zevon song, but they’re all effortlessly connected. Zevon was a musician’s musician, a tortured one. “Desperado Under the Eaves.” is good, too. It’s all in there". -Bob Dylan

Comments

  1. Several years ago, a former dean of the School of Education and Professional Studies at CCSU recommended Warren Zevon's music to me and I am sad to say I had not listened to much of his music before but had heard Werewolves of London each year around Halloween. I started out on YouTube going through his catalog of music from his very first album up to The Wind [Knockin' on Heaven's Door included] and enjoyed each and every offering. I know he was a favorite of Letterman and, I believe, Dylan performed Mutineer, as well. I also believe Bruce Springsteen paid tribute during a concert on the day following Zevon's death. My mind's a little hazy, but I believe somewhere along the line I read his biography: I'll Sleep When I'm Dead: The Dirty Life and Times of Warren Zevon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know Dylan has covered Mutineer- I'm gonna search YouTube for that one! Werewolves of London is a great Halloween song, I'll have to store that one away to post on the blog in October.

      Delete
    2. Pretty sure that Dylan covered Accidentally, Like A Martyr several times too.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

"Tangled Up In Blue": What's the Best Version?

Monday Poem: "The Book of Hours: I, 59" by Rainer Maria Rilke

Preached on in the World: What Happened with Bob Dylan in Toronto (1980)?

Tracing J.Cole's Millennial Journey

"Torch Songs" and "Cast Iron Ballads": Deep Cuts from the Planet Waves Era

Context: On Kendick Lamar's "How much a Dollar Cost"

Review: Bob Dylan at the Oakdale Theatre

Along for the Ride with Tell Tale Signs

Peace, Bullets, Schools, Chaos, Life, and The Drive by Truckers

Jeff Lynne's on the Phone