The Line Dance, The Bob Dylan Shuffle, Part 1


Image result for bob dylan shuffle

For my enjoyment, recently I've been listening to and thinking about my favorite lines from Bob Dylan songs. Viewed from this lens, his songs are interesting- there always seems to be a line or two even from his lesser celebrated songs that really sticks out to me- reverberates in my head- rattles the cage a bit- or gives me something to chew on.

Today, I put  Bob Dylan on "shuffle" and participated in this "favorite line" exercise. Lucky for me, the first song that came up was "Froggie Went A-Courtin'", which is actually an ancient English folk tune that finds its roots in the 16th century. It must be a great song. It's been around for that long. Staying power. Without further ado:

"Froggy Went A-Courtin'": A little piece of cornbread laying on the shelf/ if you want any more you can sing it yourself

"Idiot Wind":  She inherited a million bucks/ And when she died it came to me/ I can't help it if I'm lucky

"It Takes a Lot to Laugh it Takes a Train to Cry": I've been up all night/ leaning on the windowsill

"Ain't Talkin'": I practice a faith that's been long abandoned/ ain't no altars on this long and lonesome road

"Baby, I'm in the mood for you": Sometimes I'm in a mood/ I wanna change my house around

"License to Kill": Man is opposed to fair play/ he wants it all and he wants it his way

"My Back Pages": Lies that life is black and white/ Spoke from my skull I dreamed/ romantic facts of musketeers/ foundation, deep, somehow/ ah, but I was so much older than/ I'm younger than that now

"This Dream of You": I look away/ but I keep seeing it/ I don't want to believe/ but I keep believing it

"One of Us Must Know (Sooner or Later)": I couldn't see when it started snowing/ Your voice was all I heard/ I couldn't see where we were going/ But you said you knew and I took your word

"Series of Dreams": Wasn't making any great connection/ wasn't falling for any intricate scheme/ nothing that would pass inspection/ just thinking of a series of dreams





















Comments

Popular Posts

"Tangled Up In Blue": What's the Best Version?

Monday Poem: "The Book of Hours: I, 59" by Rainer Maria Rilke

Preached on in the World: What Happened with Bob Dylan in Toronto (1980)?

Tracing J.Cole's Millennial Journey

"Torch Songs" and "Cast Iron Ballads": Deep Cuts from the Planet Waves Era

Context: On Kendick Lamar's "How much a Dollar Cost"

Review: Bob Dylan at the Oakdale Theatre

Along for the Ride with Tell Tale Signs

Peace, Bullets, Schools, Chaos, Life, and The Drive by Truckers

Jeff Lynne's on the Phone