Mind Map of My Music: 1st Draft

I've recently been exploring the use of mind maps for my students as an alternative form of note-taking and idea organization. Constructing a mind map is also an engaging activity to participate in yourself! Below, you can view a rough draft of my musical mind map. I constructed this map from memory. It simply a list of musical artists I've listened to. For the next draft, I will be adding in visual images and organizing the artists by feeling and genre. For now, the handwriting is sloppy and the artists are generally randomly laid out. I chose to box in "core" artists that I consider foundational in my life. Of course, everyone's list would look different. Once the final draft is ready, I'll be sure to share it here.

Comments

  1. I like it! It seems more of a "stream of consciousness" than a concept map in the strict use of the word. I have been playing around with the labyrinth concept and the intersecting ways in which multiple labyrinths intersect, each with its own theme. For example, my path of Dylan tunes / concerts / poems etc. form a path to a center of the labyrinth that I hope not to discover any time soon. But on occasion, an element on my labyrinth [for example attending a concert in which Elvis Costello was a performer] intersects with my listening of Elvis Costello's music in some type of sequential manner and also viewing his cable show when it was available. Great food for thought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the labyrinth concept, and particularity the idea that the of path to the center of the labyrinth is ongoing. From there, such an enriching journey ensues!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

"Tangled Up In Blue": What's the Best Version?

Monday Poem: "The Book of Hours: I, 59" by Rainer Maria Rilke

Preached on in the World: What Happened with Bob Dylan in Toronto (1980)?

Tracing J.Cole's Millennial Journey

"Torch Songs" and "Cast Iron Ballads": Deep Cuts from the Planet Waves Era

Context: On Kendick Lamar's "How much a Dollar Cost"

Review: Bob Dylan at the Oakdale Theatre

Along for the Ride with Tell Tale Signs

Peace, Bullets, Schools, Chaos, Life, and The Drive by Truckers

Jeff Lynne's on the Phone